Last Updated on
What is Woocommerce?
If you want to create an online store with WordPress then you definitely need a WordPress eCommerce plugin. There are many eCommerce plugins for WordPress such as Woocommerce, WP eCommerce, Ecwid Ecommerce Shopping Cart, Jigoshop, Shopping Cart & eCommerce Store, Shopp, MarketPress – WordPress eCommerce but Woocmmerce is the best WordPress eCommerce plugin and I highly recommend you to use Woocommerce for your site. Woocommerce is downloaded Over 36,000,000 and has Over 2400 5 Star Ratings on wordpress.org. In this post, I will cover what WooCommerce is, Woocommerce Pros and Cons, how to install WooCommerce plugin, It’s Free and Paid Extensions.
WooCommerce is a most popular and best free eCommerce plugin for WordPress. It allows you to create a complete online store on your WordPress site. You can sell physical and digital products, manage shipping, taxes, inventory and take secure payments easily. WooCommerce launched on September 27, 2011, it is free and easy to setup, and customize.
Woocommerce is owned by Matt Mullenweg CEO of Automattic. Woocommerce easily integrates with your WordPress Site makes a fully functional WordPress e-commerce website with just a few clicks.
Wocommerce Pros and Cons
Just like other software, WooCommerce has many Pros and Cons
- WooCommerce is an open source and free plugin.
- It is very easy to install into WordPress.
- There are hundreds of free and paid extensions available for making the base WooCommerce functionality more robust.
- There are lots of WooCommerce compatible WordPress themes available for building an online store.
- WooCommerce has over 4 million Active installations and 2,400 5 star ratings on WordPress.org.
- The Plugin is frequently updated with new features and functions.
- WooCommerce provides lots of analytic tools to make top choice of developers.
- WooCommerce provides Full control of your content and store.
- WooCommerce allows you to add Unlimited Products, add as many products as you’d like.
- With WooCommerce you can create many types of products such as Simple Product, Grouped Product,
- External/Affiliate Product, Variable Product or Virtual/Downloadable Product.
- You can also create variations of the product such as Sizes, colors, prices, stock levels, images, etc.
- WooCommerce Gives you control of your inventory management such as Stock levels, backorders, out of stock inventory, email notifications for sold out or low stock level, and more.
- Supports payment gateways such as Stripe, Paypal, Authorize.Net, 2Checkout, Amazon Payments, SimplePay, PagSeguro and much more.
- Sometimes it can be costly, If you want to customize site according to your requirement then it takes the time and/or money to do that. Many WooCommerce Extensions are not free.
- It can be difficult to set up an online store for people new to e-commerce. There are a lot of usage considerations, settings, and functionality decisions required for managing customers, orders, inventory, sales tax, and shipping.
- Not all WordPress themes are well coded for WooCommerce. you need to make sure that you purchase a theme from trustworthy theme provider.
- Most of the customers are dissatisfied with the update of WooCommerce. Sometimes your WordPress plugin is up to date but WooCommerce doesn’t meet with updates.
- Not all developers who say they know WooCommerce are of high quality.
- WooCommerce security and maintenance is the responsibility of store owner.
- Can not be used without WordPress.
How to install WooCommerce plugin
You install WooCommerce plugin like any other plugin, Go to ‘Plugins’ in your WordPress dashboard click on ‘Add New’ search WooCommerce, install and activate it.
Click here to Learn how to install WordPress plugin
Now you can set up your store with WooCommerce Setup Wizard
After completing WooCommerce setup you can add products and start selling. Here are the steps how to add a product to WooCommerce – Adding and Managing Products
WooCommerce has lots of Extensions that can add in additional features such as ticket bookings, online courses, product bundles, returns and warranties, composite products, customer documentation, Print Invoices & Packing lists, Shipment Tracking, Dynamic Pricing, Turn your store into a multi-vendor marketplace, and much more.
WooCommerce PDF Invoices & Packing Slips
Create, print & automatically email PDF invoices & packing slips for WooCommerce orders.
WooCommerce Stripe Payment Gateway
Take credit card payments on your store using Stripe.
YITH WooCommerce Wishlist
YITH WooCommerce Wishlist add all Wishlist features to your website. Needs WooCommerce to work. WooCommerce 3.2.x compatible.
YITH WooCommerce Ajax Product Filter
YITH WooCommerce Ajax Product Filter offers you the perfect way to filter all products of your WooCommerce shop.
Hosted services for WooCommerce including automated tax calculation, live shipping rates, shipping label printing, and smoother payment setup.
WooCommerce Wallet – credit, cashback, refund system
A powerful, extendable WooCommerce wallet system which support payment, partial payment, cashback reward program as well as refund for your WooCommerce
WooCommerce Checkout Field Editor (Manager) Pro
WooCommerce Checkout Field Editor Pro – The best WooCommerce checkout manager plugin to customize checkout fields on your WooCommerce checkout page
Perfect WooCommerce Brands
Perfect WooCommerce Brands allows you to show product brands in your WooCommerce based store
WooCommerce – Store Exporter
Export store details out of WooCommerce into simple formatted files (e.g. CSV, XML, Excel 2007, XLS, etc.).
YITH WooCommerce Compare
YITH WooCommerce Compare allows you to compare more products of your shop in one complete table.
WC Marketplace – The most user recommended multi-vendor marketplace plugin for WooCommerce.
PixelYourSite – Facebook Pixel (Events, WooCommerce & Easy Digital Downloads)
Insert the new Facebook Pixel on WordPress, add Events, enjoy superb WooCommerce & EDD Facebook Pixel integration
Let customers subscribe to your products or services and pay on a weekly, monthly or annual basis.
Sell your time or date based bookings using WordPress and WooCommerce. Perfect for those wanting to offer appointments, reservations, services or rentals.
USPS Shipping Method
Get shipping rates from the USPS API which handles both domestic and international parcels.
Offer customizable bundles and assembled products.
UPS Shipping Method
Get shipping rates from the UPS API which handles both domestic and international parcels.
Create a membership site using WordPress and WooCommerce. You can restrict your content to members, but you can also “drip” that content over time to schedule when members have access.
WooCommerce vs Shopify vs BigCommerce
|Monthly Price||free||$9, $29, $79, $179||$29.95, $79.95, $199.95|
|Unlimited Product Attributes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Ease of Use||8/10||9/10||9/10|